Anti-semitism on the rise in France
The following account has come from a reliable source and lists a series of recent anti-semitic incidents in France which illustrates a continuing increase in anti-Jewish prejudice in that country.
first published 15/04/2010
Ed preface: To give you an idea of what's going on in that country where there are now between 5 and 6 million Muslims and about 600,000 Jews Here is an e-mail that came from a Jew living in France .
Will the world say nothing again -
as it did in Hitler's time?"
"I am a Jew -- therefore I am forwarding this to everyone on all my e-mail lists. I will not sit back and do nothing. Nowhere have the flames of anti-Semitism burned more furiously than in France ..
- In Lyon , a car was rammed into a synagogue and set on fire
- In Montpellier , the Jewish religious center was firebombed
- so were synagogues in Strasbourg and Marseilles;
- so was a Jewish school in Creteil - all recently
- A Jewish sports club in Toulouse was attacked with Molotov cocktails
- and on the statue of Alfred Dreyfus, in Paris , the words 'Dirty Jew' were painted
- In Bondy, 15 men beat up members of a Jewish football team with sticks and metal bar
- The bus that takes Jewish children to school in Aubervilliers has been attacked three times in the last 14 months
- According to the Police, metropolitan Paris has seen 10 to 12 anti-Jewish incidents PER DAY in the past 30 days
- Walls in Jewish neighborhoods have been defaced with slogans proclaiming 'Jews to the gas chambers' and 'Death to the Jews.'
- A gunman opened fire on a kosher butcher's shop (and, of course, the butcher) inToulouse, France
- A Jewish couple in their 20's were beaten up by five men in Villeurbanne , France (the woman was pregnant)
- A Jewish school was broken into and vandalized in Sarcelles , France
This was just in the past week so I call on you, whether you are a fellow Jew, a friend, or merely a person with the capacity and desire to distinguish decency from depravity.
Don't ever let yourself become deluded into thinking that this is not your fight. I remind you of what Pastor Neimollers said during World War II:
' First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Communist
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up, because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.'
See also: Israel, the world and the church