Debates (Open)

Replies: (page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11)
colin (Guest) 27/04/2016 19:23
I would agree with DALE M that Holy Spirit revivals do and tend to be local affairs spread at different times through-out history. And that during these times we see a large increase in those coming to salvation in Christ and those who are already Christians having their christian life revitalised and their faith deepened.
And that we are to expect these local showers of blessings to continue all over the world until our Lord comes again, during the short period when satan is having his day in the sun.

I think the problem of there being a final great harvest before Christ returns may be in a nisunderstanding about what Christ means in Matthew 13:39 regarding the 'Harvest at the end of the age'

Rather than this being a description of a final world wide revival harvest, it is describing Christ gathering in all the believers who have ever lived and who are alive in one great event just prior to his return. A harvest of all believers rather than a revival of brand new believers.

Bible man (Guest) 27/04/2016 21:09
In other words, God's elect (His chosen people) are being called out of the rotten and corrupt mass of humanity, and the rest (reprobate) are consigned to hell?
Mini 27/04/2016 21:27
Bible Man: the present world-order is corrupt and has already been condemned. We are called out of that evil world-order into the Kingdom of God, which is God's world-order. You don't actually see God calling human beings "the rotten and corrupt mass of humanity". However, when Messiah, Jesus, comes again to set up His Kingdom on earth, the only place for those who don't like it is out...the outer darkness/ hell.
Bible man (Guest) 28/04/2016 20:50
"You don't actually see God calling human beings "the rotten and corrupt mass of humanity""

What does the Almighty, in His word say on this?

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and is desperately wicked..." Jeremiah 17.9.

"For I know that in me (that is in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing..." Romans 7.18.

"Behold, I am vile..." Job 40.4.

"Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; And in sin did my mother conceive me." Psalm 51.5.

"I am a man of unclean lips..." Isaiah 6.5.

The New Testament makes it very clear that the Saviour came to this world "to save sinners" 1 Timothy 1.15.

The Lord Jesus Himself said "I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." Matthew 9.13.

Sadly, many today cannot quite conceive the heinousness of sin.

I would respectfully suggest to you that God's word has very much to say about our "uncomeliness" and "the rotten and corrupt mass of humanity".

Every blessing.

(Guest) 29/04/2016 10:38
It would be good if people could stay on the point which is the 'END TIME REVIVAL/HARVEST OF SOULS' - not the utter depravity of all mankind. I'm interested to hear whether there are any other views on the topic because there are many Christians around the world who spend many hours in groups praying earnestly for revival. Maybe not everybody understands the word 'revival' in the same way. Also whether their conception of revival is 'world wide' or 'localised'.
Dale M 29/04/2016 10:41
Sorry the last post was by Dale M, not Guest - I think my computer must have logged out!
Editor 29/04/2016 12:37
Dale (and others) The 'Bibleman' posts are typical of what I have been having to deal with in terms of 'hobby horses'.

Bible man if you have nothing which is helpful and 'on topic' please refrain from posting. Thank you.
Bible man (Guest) 29/04/2016 14:50
I was replying to Mini's statement-that was all!

Now to be linear and of a one track mind, I will don my blinkers!

Pre-millennialism has variously been described as a "pessimistic theory" because we believe that the world will progressively get worse, and more antichristian, hastening the appearance of the Antichrist on to the world scene. The postmillennialist believes that the world will be converted to Christ by the preaching of the gospel, and therefore I understand from that angle, they believe there will be a great END TIME REVIVAL/HARVEST OF SOULS. (Naturally?)
A-millennialism shares the 'pessimism' with pre-millennialism in the regard that things will get worse at the end of this age, with no prospect of worldwide revival, the difference being that they believe in no next Day (1000years). I say 'pessimism' but Christ will destroy the devil's short lived reign and the millennial morning will be glorious!
The believer's millennial eschatology therefore must impact his views on any great END TIME REVIVAL/HARVEST OF SOULS?

Dale M 29/04/2016 19:19
From my readings of past revivals extending from the times of the New Testament church until the present, the times of revival have always been by God's prerogative. God has never announced a revival in advance. When the Holy Spirit comes upon a group of people to renew/revive the church, He comes suddenly and almost unexpectedly. It is by God's sovereign will alone.
What can we do? What must we do? From the biblical model, (2 Chron. 7:14), we can earnestly pray and seek Him and draw near to Him and open our hearts and minds to Him in obedience to His word and will.
We can strive in all these ways and God still might not send a true revival. God revives His church and draws people to Himself in repentance and faith as and when He wishes. Nevertheless it also seems to be true from history, that God will not send revival without our earnest seeking after Him, praying and turning from our wicked ways.
This does not mean that we should not pray for revival because God will send revival when He wills it anyway. No - The Bible is full of passages that teach that God wants His people to pray for revival!
Psalm 80:19; 85:6; 19:7; 22:27; 51:10 Isaiah 57:15; 64:1-4 2 Chron. 7:14 Ezekiel 37:1-14 Hab. 3:2 Acts 3:19-21 and many more.
As I said in my first post, there is no reason why God should not send further localised revivals upon His people up until the time of his 2nd coming even though the world might increasingly become more secular and defiant toward the true God in these last days. (Look at the anti-Christian cultural environment in which we live here in the UK!). We are warned of this – 2 Tim. 3:1-5 ...in the last days perilous time will come....
We MUST pray and seek His face interceding for His church and for the lost people across the world. That is God's will!

By the way, I think that a persons view of the millennium is a separate issue. It will have some bearing upon one's expectation of revival, but it is by no means the major issue.
Dale M 29/04/2016 20:02
From my readings of past revivals extending from the times of the New Testament church until the present, the times of revival have always been by God's prerogative. God has never announced a revival in advance. When the Holy Spirit comes upon a group of people to renew/revive the church, He comes suddenly and almost unexpectedly. It is by God's sovereign will alone.
What can we do? What must we do? From the biblical model, (2 Chron. 7:14), we can earnestly pray and seek Him and draw near to Him and open our hearts and minds to Him in obedience to His word and will.
We can strive in all these ways and God still might not send a true revival. God revives His church and draws people to Himself in repentance and faith as and when He wishes. Nevertheless it also seems to be true from history, that God will not send revival without our earnest seeking after Him, praying and turning from our wicked ways.
This does not mean that we should not pray for revival because God will send revival when He wills it anyway. No - The Bible is full of passages that teach that God wants His people to pray for revival!
Psalm 80:19; 85:6; 19:7; 22:27; 51:10 Isaiah 57:15; 64:1-4 2 Chron. 7:14 Ezekiel 37:1-14 Hab. 3:2 Acts 3:19-21 and many more.
As I said in my first post, there is no reason why God should not send further localised revivals upon His people up until the time of his 2nd coming even though the world might increasingly become more secular and defiant toward the true God in these last days. (Look at the anti-Christian cultural environment in which we live here in the UK!). We are warned of this – 2 Tim. 3:1-5 ...in the last days perilous time will come....
We MUST pray and seek His face interceding for His church and for the lost people across the world. That is God's will!

By the way, I think that a persons view of the millennium is a separate issue. It will have some bearing upon one's expectation of revival, but it is by no means the major issue.
(page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11)
start of topic

Comment:
Icon:
Emoticon