Debates (Open)

END TIME REVIVAL/HARVEST OF SOULS
Many Christians believe there will be a huge harvest of souls in the end times. Will anyone give their opinions about this and provide bible references please?
Mini 19/04/2016 17:23 Write a reply

Replies: (page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11)
Dale M 20/04/2016 21:32
Since the day of Pentecost the gospel has gone out from Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and has spread throughout the world. Down through the ages, God has called to himself countless numbers of people to believe and to serve him. In the past, there have been short periods of revival when God has poured out his Spirit on a particular group of people e.g. Welsh revival, Lewis revival etc. Usually God sends revival in answer to the specific prayers of his people. Sometimes not. There is no reason to believe that God will not continue to send further sporadic seasons of revival during the remainder of the time before he comes again. Therefore we should feel encouraged to pray for revival in these days. I don't think that there is any specific or definite Biblical promise of a huge world-wide revival before he comes again. However, we have heard that there are many people in China coming to faith in Christ in these days, as well as other countries in the east such as Iran. We hear too of many Jews and Muslims coming to faith in wonderful ways. So from a global perspective, the church overall seems to be growing at a rapid rate, even though the church in western countries maybe on the decline.
It would seem to me that near the time of the end just before Jesus comes again, that Satan will have his little season (Rev. 20:7). This may tie up with 2 Thess. 2:3-4 which tells us that before Christ comes a second time, 'that day will not come, until the rebellion occurs, and the man of lawlessness is revealed.....' This time will be a time of trial and testing for those Christians who are alive at that time. Surveying contemporary world events we may well feel that we are just entering that time when the man of lawlessness will be revealed, or satan's little season. So we can expect that Christians throughout the world, not just in China or Muslim-dominated countries, may face stiff persecution. Perhaps there will be no room anymore for half-hearted or so-called 'nominal Christianity'! It may be that Christians will face difficult times standing fast in their faith. (We see signs of a government clamp down on Christian values even in this country!)
So, yes, the church in these last days will grow – in some places slowly or not at all – and in other places there will be great numbers coming to faith. However, in view of the Bible references above, it seems as if we may face persecution and will have to stand firm in our faith whatever the consequences.
Editor 23/04/2016 10:45
Ed note: Because of past misuse of this Debates facility some time ago I had to restrict the response facility to site members only.

I have just reversed that so that (now) any site member can post. But please be aware that the above-mentioned restriction might have to be re-imposed if the misuse were to reappear.

The main problems related to:
(a) those who just wanted to use the facility as a personal pulpit and
(b) to go off into non-related 'hobby-horse' issues.
(Guest) 26/04/2016 09:41
The Bible says "many are called, few are chosen", "narrow is the way, few enter in thereat", and the Lord asks in regard to His Second Coming "shall He find faith on the earth?" (Matt 22.14/ Matt 7.14/Luke 18.8).
The "great multitude" in Rev 7.9 is no doubt a great number, but a tiny fraction of all the people who have lived; are living, and will yet live, if the aforementioned verses are to be believed.
Furthermore, I believe that the great majority of God's elect have already passed away, as I see ungodliness increasing exponentially everywhere. That is not to say that God is not still calling people out from among the nations, this He will do until the final judgement after the approaching millennium.
So, to answer your question Mini, I believe there will be no "huge harvest of souls in the end times". Not that I don't want there to be, but Scripture teaches against it. Also, though it seems unbelievable, after the blessed and favourable conditions that will yet exist throughout the millennium, Satan, when he is "loosed" will "deceive the nations", of which "the number of whom is as the sand of the sea" Rev 20.7-8.
J Robertson (Guest) 26/04/2016 12:20
I believe that the broad thrust of Scripture is that there will be a great falling away rather than a great revival.

There is a never-ending round of hightened expectation (followed by disillusionment) in new (post-1960) church circles, and a false expectation in the historic denominations largely based on eisiges i.e. the thinking is that Matt 24:14 should read:

"This Gospel of Salvation in Jesus Christ will be preached in the whole world resulting in a massive end-time gathering, and then the end will come."

What the verse actually says is: "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come."

Matt 24:12 and 2 Tim 3:1 speak of what we can expect the closer we get.

Editor 26/04/2016 14:56
Ed Note: If you contributing as a 'Guest' then please use a name (even pen name). Merely posting as (Guest)causes confusion (see message of 9.41 as example).
(page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11)
start of topic

Comment:
Icon:
Emoticon