Debates (Open)

Replies: (page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7)
Jack Thomson (Guest) 24/10/2016 21:01
Mini....
Its been months since I visited this site - and when I do,lo and behold, my name's at the top of the comments box - What, I wonder, if anything, Is God saying.............
I don't know whether to thank you or not for the encouragement.....
In the past I've run with encouragement - only to be disappointed (again) - its all been very tortuous and tormenting.
If I've found consolation it is in the hope that I'm being taken through the very painful process of dying to my own self(expression), and, in time, if God desires to use me, He will pick me up, sharpen me...........and start to write and express Himself through me....
Indeed, that is where I find my peace - for truly, if God is not expressing Himself through me - I don't want to write..............
Too many people come to Christ on their own terms (as I may have done) and thereafter use Him as a means to express their natural gifts......but this is not the divine process...the divine process is the sacrifice of our self expression to God's will - as Christ my Saviour did at Gethsemane - for thereby, as Christ proved, lies that very narrow path to the fullness of eternal life...............
God Bless

I Mac (Guest) 09/11/2016 21:14
How does the Lord lead disciples today?

By bringing them OUT of politics in all its forms, and worldliness, I believe.

Editor 10/11/2016 09:29
There are two issues in the above message: one is a question, the other is a stated view. Both have already been aired and discussed elsewhere on the site and further discussion on these topics should be confined to one or other of these articles. Thank you.

For the first (question re 'guidance') see - http://www.christianstogether.net/Articles/237715/Christians_Together_in/Christian_Life/The_Word_is.aspx

For the second (statement re Christians and politics) see -
http://www.christianstogether.net/Articles/365409/Christians_Together_in/Christian_Life/Christians_and_Politics/Christians_and_Politics.aspx

(Guest) 14/11/2016 16:29
If as some people believe, the Lord leads His people through dreams and visions, how would we know whether those dreams and visions were really from God? I have heard of many false prophecies of late.
Editor 20/11/2016 17:28
"How would we know whether those dreams and visions were really from God? I have heard of many false prophecies of late."

That's a very important question (sentence 1) and very accurate observation (sentence 2)

CAVEAT: Before I write any more I have had my time taken up in the past by those who don't believe that God speaks through both His Spirit and His Word. I will not be spending any more time responding to those who don't believe He does.

In terms of responding to the question, could you first visit - http://www.christianstogether.net/Groups/61329/Christians_Together_in/Christian_Life/Is_there_any/Is_there_any.aspx

If you have subsequent questions please be in touch. But if you wish to discuss anything at length you will need to either e-mail me privately, or register with the site.

Hope this helps.

Ed.
(Guest) 23/11/2016 21:46
CAVEAT: Before I write any more I have had my time taken up in the past by those who don't believe that God speaks through both His Spirit and His Word."

I have absolutely no doubt that God speaks to His children through His Word once they have been convicted of sin, and the need to have faith and repentance in Jesus. Is not God's Word "a lamp to our feet, and a light to our path"?

The point I was trying to make, is that there have been (as throughout church history) many false 'prophetic' voices of late, and I believe they have been presumptuous/led by another spirit? So God has NEVER been leading these people. Far be it from me to say exactly how the gracious Holy Spirit operates in converting the sinner! But our spirit/conscience ought to daily speak to us when we are IN the written Word?

The Scripture says Thomas Manton (Puritan divine);
"It condemns the Enthusiasts, who pretending to have the Spirit, lay aside the whole Bible, and say the Scripture is a dead letter, and they live above it. What impudence is this! Till we are above sin, we shall not be above Scripture. Let not men so talk of a revelation from the Spirit, but suspect it to be an imposture. The Spirit of God acts regularly, it works in and by the Word; and he that pretends to a new light, which is either above the Word, or contrary to it, abuses both himself and the Spirit: his light is borrowed from him who transforms himself into an angel of light."

jack thomson (Guest) 24/11/2016 13:43
Jesus once stated: Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ Matthew 7/21-23
There is only one way to interpret these words of Jesus. He’s stating, quite clearly, that not all who believe themselves to be Christian are …..Christian.
‘How can this be?’ a perplexed spectator might enquire, and then further ask with deepening bewilderment, ‘How on earth can a person think themselves to be Christian, and yet not be…Christian?
The answer, believe it or not, is hidden in the question……..because, no person, on their own initiative, can ‘think themselves’ into becoming Christian. It is absolutely impossible for any individual to become a true disciple of Christ purely on the basis of their own intellectual initiative………..
To put it another way - becoming a Christian is not a matter of man’s choice, rather, as Christ confirmed, it is a matter of His choice: You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit…..John 15/16
Truly it is Christ who must first, through the Holy Spirit, choose to connect with a person’s corrupted spirit before that person’s spirit can be made eternally complete - and replete in Him.
The above process of becoming spiritually one with Christ, narrow as it might be, is the only way in which a person’s spirit can obtain true eternal regeneration, but………
There is another ‘way’ - a broader way - a counterfeit way which, rather than being initiated by Christ’s sacrificial Spirit, is generated by any person on the terms of their own self-preserving and self promoting spirit. In other words, there are people who ‘choose’, or are persuaded to enter ‘a relationship’ with Christ, not on the foundation of His self-sacrificial initiative, but on the basis of their own selfish terms, which ‘conditions’ offer them the means through which they can preserve and promote, via their natural talents and aptitudes, their (worldly) understanding of God and His precepts.
The first and only legitimate way produces true Christians who, having died with Christ to the mantle of self determination will, thereafter, think and believe in complete submission to the Lordship of Christ (God’s word).
The alternative (counterfeit) way produces people who ‘think themselves’ to be Christian, but who, in the absence of the Holy Spirit’s influence, can only continue to operate under the lordship of their own unregenerate spirit.....which spirit, enslaved as it is to the spirit of the world, will lead them to think in any way that their natural inclinations leads them. Natural inclinations which may or may not agree with God’s word
This second group are essentially man-made ‘Christians’ - religious mannequins who pose in the shop windows of their respective religious institutions giving the impression of being spiritually alive but who, in reality, are dead to God’s eternal kingdom.
And, in being insensitive to God, they continue to use their own worldly morality and ideals to adapt and edit His word, thereby continually re-modeling the shop window of their ‘ecclesiastical’ environment to court and complement the spirit of the world (in the name of Christ, of course)………and it is this category of ‘Christian’ who is causing so much discord and devastation in the Churches today.
The traditional Churches are decaying institutions, and they are so because a great number of their spiritual leaders are not true Christians - they are not spiritually regenerated believers. They have chosen to ‘come to Christ’ on the basis of their own self-righteous understanding….and they ignorantly use His name as a means through which they can preach their adulterated gospels to their naïve congregations.
The apostle Paul had no good word to say of them:
For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted……..For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ……..2 Corinthians11/4&13

Dale M 24/11/2016 16:49
I spent a couple of hours yesterday morning discussing this topic with a friend of mine. Generally it seems that Churches consist of some who are true disciples of Christ who have been chosen by God and regenerated by the Spirit, while other are false 'disciples'. The latter may have made a 'profession of faith' and have become involved in their Church but remain unregenerate. These pseudo-Christians may have been heavily influenced by other Christians and might simply have chosen 'to come to Christ' motivated merely by their own self-interest.
My friend and I discussed the Bible verses you mentioned, Jack Thomson, and we basically came to the same conclusions. However, we should not be too surprised as the Bible speaks about those who will unexpectedly be excluded from heaven. The wheat and the tares will grow together but will be separated on the final day.
(Guest) 24/11/2016 17:14
Is this a Calvinist website?
Jack Thomson (Guest) 24/11/2016 17:46
Guest - you ask if this is a Calvinist website.
The editor is the only person who can truly answer this question but, from my own experience, this website is not Calvinist - although I could be wrong
(page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7)
start of topic

Comment:
Icon:
Emoticon